Overview of THE ND Process


  • Schedule an appointment with Dr. Ewals
  • Print and bring medical records for your qualifying condition to this appointment. Dr. Ewals will need these in order to move forward with the process.
  • Print and fill out our New Patient form and our Medical Release form. Bring these with to your appointment as well. If you do not have a printer we can provide you with these forms at your appointment.
  • Dr. Ewals will then review your medical records and determine if the use of medical marijuana would be an effective treatment


Submit your application online through the North Dakota Department of Health Website Follow the instructions to fill out your application completely. You will have to pay the application fee before the NDDoH Medical Marijuana Program will process your application. You will also be asked to provide Dr. Ewals name and Email Address.  please use info@alternativehealthgf.com for the email address, and Dr. Ewals for the provider name. 

If you would like to save time, you are welcome to complete step 2 before your visit with Dr. Ewals.


After Submitting your application, Dr. Ewals will be notified to complete your certification. This will be completed on the same day she receives the notification to assure prompt processing. You can check your current status on the NDDoH website by signing into your BioTackTHC account.


It typically takes 2-4 weeks for state processing after submission of applications. Once approved, you will receive your medical card in the mail and be able to purchase medical marijuana from a dispensary near you.

Check Out Your States Qualifying Conditions




Terminal Illness

Anorexia Nervosa



Rheumatoid Arthritis


Anxiety Disorder

Brain Injury

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)



Agitation of Alzheimer’s Disease or Dementia

Bulimia Nervosa

Crohn’s Disease

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

Spinal Stenosis or Chronic Back Pain

Tourette Syndrome

Decompensated Cirrhosis by Hepatitis C

A Chronic or debilitating disease (must produce one or more of the following:

  • Cachexia or wasting syndrome
  • Severe debilitating pain which has not responded to previously prescribed medication or surgical measures for more than 3 months or for which treatment has produced serious side effects.
  • Intractable nausea
  • Seizures
  • Severe and persistent muscle spasms including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis

Alzheimer’s disease

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD


Chronic Pain

Sleep Apnea

Autism Spectrum

Tourette Syndrome

Cancer with severe pain, nausea, cachexia or severe wasting

Crohn’s Disease

Chronic vocal or motor tick disorder

Sickle Cell Anemia


Terminal Illness with the life expectance of less than 1 year

Seizures, including those by Epilepsy

Intractable Pain – pain without benefit seen from previous conservative treatments or without intolerable side effects

Severe Muscle Spasms, including those by Multiple Sclerosis

Frequently Asked Questions

⦁ Please bring your North Dakota or Minnesota ID.
⦁ You must provide copies of your medical records indicating your qualifying condition. (If you need a records release, see the forms tab to print).

⦁ Currently pregnant or breastfeeding
⦁ Diagnosed with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder
⦁ Not a legal resident of ND or MN

In Minnesota, certification is valid for 12 months. After this time, you will need to recertify with your provider. This appointment can be done via telephone, facetime, or in person. Additionally, you must re-register with the state annually.

In North Dakota, certification is valid for 8 months. After this time, you will need to recertify with your provider. This appointment can be done via telephone, facetime, or in person.
Are medical marijuana cards public record?
No, medical marijuana cards are not considered public record. Because of HIPAA, medical records, including medical treatments such as medical marijuana, are not public. People will not be able to access someone else’s medical records unless the patient gives his or her written permission.